Rangpur is one of the major cities in Bangladesh and the Rangpur Division. Rangpur was declared a district headquarters on December 16, 1769, and established as a municipality in 1869, making it one of the oldest municipalities in Bangladesh. The municipal office building was erected in 1892 under the precedence of Raja Janaki Ballav, Senior Chairman of the municipality. In 1890, the Shyamasundari canal was excavated for the improvement of the town. Sharfuddin Ahmed Jhantu was the first mayor of Rangpur City Corporation. There are many tourist places are attracted tourists of Rangpur City. It is a historical city of northern region of Bangladesh. Tajhat Palace is the most viewed place of this city. Devi Caudhuranir Jamindar Bari and Pirgacha Landlord House also the ancient tourist place.